Margaret Hawkins and Sarah Scott gathered seven of their friends at a planning meeting on the evening of Nov. 9, 1946 at a home in Philadelphia.
This was the next step in their plans to officially form a club of African-American women with various chapters along the eastern seaboard. The women would participate in civic, educational, and cultural activities. Additionally, they would develop a deep understanding of their social and civic responsibilities. They called themselves The Links.