1. Spring bloom alerts: crocus in full bloom, hepatica blooms, wood thrushes; frog chorus; call 612-625-9791 or www.arboretum.umn.edu/blooms.aspx;
2. Storytime at the Library, Thursdays, 10:30 a.m. free with Arb admission
3. Weekend Family Fun: Blooming Baskets, weekends in May, noon-4 p.m., Learning Center, free with Arboretum admission.
4. Spring Trunk Show III: Tree Trunk Treasures, meet artist Virgil Leih and informal tours, weekends of exhibit through May 8, 1-3 p.m., Great Hall.
5. Steelroots: Touching Earth & Sky guided walking tour of 16 sculptures, Saturdays April 23-Oct. 8, 10:30 a.m., Departs from Visitor Center. Free with Arboretum admission.
6. Arbor Day: Friday, April 29: Walks for the Curious, 10:30 a.m. ($7.50 member/$15 non-member); or Who Needs Trees program explores art, science, planting, etc., 10 a.m., free with Arboretum admission.
7. Arboretum Gardening School, Saturday, April 30, spring planting for summer color, register at www.arboretum.umn.edu/learn.aspx
8. Celebrating Our Roots hosta and ornamental grass plant sale, Gift Store, Saturday, May 1, 8 a.m.– 6 p.m. and Sunday, May 2, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
9. From Vine to Wine: Appreciating the Bounty of the Grape, Thursday, May 5, 6:30-8:30 p.m., $80/$90 for three class sessions, also May 12 & 19)
10. National Public Garden Day, Friday, May 6, 10-11 a.m., public art mural on what gardens mean to you, Visitor Center, free with admission. (Better Homes & Gardens offer readers free admission coupon for 2 for May 6 visit to Arb).
11. Ask a Master Gardener/Yard & Garden Desk, weekends, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
12. Celebrate with Mom at the Arb: Mother’s Day Brunches, Saturday, May 7 and Sunday, May 8, 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., $20/$22/$9 age 4-7; reserve at 612-626-3951, or www.umnarboretum.catertrax.com; Springtime Tea, Wednesday, May 11, 2:30-4 p.m. & Mothers & Daughters Tea, Saturday, May 14, 2:30 p.m. Tea Room, $23/$26; Gift of Arboretum Membership (starting at $45, gift subscription to Better Homes & Gardens), www.arboretum.umn.edu/join.aspx; cooking classes: Dinner with a Chef or Saturdays in the Kitchen, www.arboretum.umn.edu/cookingclasses.aspx
13. SummerHouse opens Friday, May 13, fruits, shrubs, grasses, perennials, gardening tools, containers and outdoor décor; west of Arboretum on Hwy.5
14. Auxiliary Spring Plant Sale, Saturday May 14 & Sunday, May 15, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Margo Picnic Shelter area, shop for hard-to-find plants, shrubs, trees.
15. What’s the Buzz? Honey!, Saturday, May 14, 9-11 a.m., $30/$40 class.
16. Bog Bash, Sunday, May 15, noon- 4 p.m., Ordway Picnic Shelter and bog area celebrating grand re-opening of Wurtele Bog Walk on Green Heron Trail, with interpretive stations and Bog Passport children’s activity and book-signing for “Big Belching Bog”, music. Free with Arboretum admission.
17. An Evening with Author Richard Louv, Monday, May 16, 7-9 p.m., guided walk, conversation and book-signing of “The Nature Principle” AND Symposium keynote address, Tuesday, May 17; reserve for either at www.arboretum.umn.edu/learn.aspx or call 952-443-1422.
18. Spring Plein-Air Watercolor Workshop: Green Heron Pond, 9:45 a.m – 1 p.m., $40/$50, create plant and animal images, register at www.arboretumn.umn.edu/learn.aspx or call 952-443-1422
19. Yoga in the Gardens with Gorilla Yogis, Saturday, May 21, 10:30 a.m., free yoga event, meet at Snyder Building to proceed to gardens.
20. Here Comes the Sun, Reedy Gallery, meet the artist and informal tours Saturday, May 21, 1-3 p.m., exhibit May 20-Aug. 14 features 17 painters.
21. Children’s Summer Fun: weekly day camps, weekly children’s garden, guided adventures, Pea Pods for Pre-schoolers, register at www.arboretumn.umn.edu/learn.aspx or call 952-443-1422