Research shows that students can lose important math and reading skills over the summer months, so it is essential that students find ways to further their learning during the summer.
The department has partnered with MetaMetrics® to provide tools that make summer learning easy. These tools offer exciting and fun challenges to help students retain the math and reading skills they learned during the school year, while ramping up their skills for the fall. From creating a summer reading list that is tailored to expand a child's reading comprehension to daily math puzzles and activities, these challenges are free, self-directed opportunities that parents and students can have fun with together.
Summer Reading Challenge:
• Visit Find a Book, Minnesota (http://lexile.com/fab/MN) to sign up.
• Enter your child's Lexile measure, or let the system easily walk you through determining the right level of books for your child.
• Help your child select categories of interest.
• View and refine your search results, and add books to your child's reading list.
• Some lucky readers will win $25 Barnes & Noble gift cards.
Summer Math Challenge:
• Visit Summer Math Challenge (http://quantiles.com/summer-math) to enroll your child.
• Starting Monday, June 23, check your inbox for daily emails with fun math activities and resources.
• Check back every day to read about the weekly math concept and earn badges.
• When the program ends on Friday, August 1, print an award certificate to celebrate your child's summer accomplishment!
For more resources and information about summer learning, visit the department's Summer Learning website at http://bit.ly/MNsummerlearning or visit your local library.