The bus will debut at the Back to School Jam on Saturday, Aug. 17, at the Davis Center, 1250 W. Broadway Ave. The event runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The bus will be around the city on the following dates and locations:
• Friday, Aug. 23, from 4 to 6 p.m. at Karmel Square, 2944 Pillsbury Ave. S.
• Saturday, Aug. 24, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Lake Street Cub Foods, 2850 26th Ave. S.
• Saturday, Aug. 24, from 1 to 3 p.m. at Farview Park, 621 29th Ave. N.
"We want to do all that we can to serve the families in Minneapolis," said Ryan Fair, MPS enrollment director. "We recognize that not everyone has access to reliable transportation and there are some who are either new to the city or just do not understand how navigate the system. We want to meet families where they are located so that they can have smoother transition to the start of school."
In addition to the enrollment bus, the MPS Student Placement Services Center, located at 1250 W. Broadway Ave., will extend its summer registration hours beginning August 19. The center serves new families and those who have not yet registered for the 2013-2014 school year. Families whose first language is a language other than English should visit the New Families Center at 3345 Chicago Ave. S. for school placement assistance.
Service hours at both sites are as follows:
• Regular hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
• Extended hours: Aug. 19-30, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday
The first day of school at MPS is Aug. 26 for students in grades 1-12 and Aug. 28 for High Five and kindergarten students.