Insight News

Feb 13th

Claim those tax deductions: Social Security numbers for kids

E-mail Print PDF
“Now is the time to apply for your child’s Social Security card and number if you want to claim them as dependents on your tax return in 2011,” according to Rhonda Whitenack and Jim Czechowicz, Public Affairs Specialists for Social Security in Minneapolis. 

In most cases, parents request a Social Security number for their child when applying for a birth certificate at the hospital.  However, if you didn’t apply for the number at the hospital, you must apply at a Social Security office* or by mail.   To do so you will need :

•A completed Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5);
•Original documents proving your child’s:
•U.S. citizenship;
•Age; and
•Identity; and
•Original documents proving your identity.

After you apply, we will verify the child’s birth record and mail your child’s Social Security card to you. To learn more, read our online publication, Social Security Numbers For Children, at

*If you live or receive mail in Anoka, Hennepin, Ramsey, Dakota, Washington, Scott, Carver, Isanti, or Chisago counties, you must apply in-person or by mail at the Greater Twin Cities Metropolitan Area Social Security Card Center for an original or replacement Social Security card.   The card center is located at: 1811 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis MN 55404    
NOTE: If you are age 12 or older and have never received a Social Security number, you must apply in person.

If you do not live or receive mail in the counties mentioned above, you can mail or take your Social Security card application and original documents to your local Social Security office. For more information:

I applied for my child's Social Security card in the hospital but have not received it. How long does it take?

In most states it takes an average of three weeks to get the card, but in some states it can take longer. To check for the average wait time in your state, consult the chart at If you have not received your child's card, and the time frame has expired, please visit your local Social Security office. Be sure to take proof of your child’s citizenship, age, and identity as well as proof of your own identity. And remember, we cannot divulge your child’s Social Security number over the phone. Learn more at

Recent Comments

Powered by Disqus

Facebook Twitter RSS Image Map

Latest show

  • October 20, 2015
    Jessica Jackson, co-pastor, Impact Living Christian Center in South Minneapolis.

Business & Community Service Network